Monday 24 September 2012

Heading for India (and cannot wait)

First of all, it was terrific to catch up with Steve and enjoy a few beers in Tbilisi, just sorry I missed James who was coming out two days after I left.

The flight to Dubai was absolutely fine and at this point I should like to praise Qatar who were so helpful and went out of there way to assist with the bike. I checked in early and the representative was only to happy to take all my gear and weigh it, indicating that it should be ok. Unfortunately two panniers were not weighed, so when I checked in I was considerably over the limit, well Cynth weighs in at 18kgs which doesn't leave much for me! After a very brief discussion they waived me through; no penalty incurred as the flight wasn't full (about 90% full). Of course the garden was rosie as I didn't have to pay any excess, but seeing the charity T shirt I was wearing they were simply great. Wow, I fully understand and appreciate that it is not possible for every passenger to check in well over the limit; but where flights are not full and distance and fuel consumption permits, it is a real plus when airlines adopt a common sense and helpful stance. So thank you Qatar, a terrific airline, your customer service, even if I had had to pay, was still excellent.

I have now been in Dubai a week, staying with my ex-boss Jonathan, his wife Carol and their three children who are simply sensational. I cannot thank them enough for their hospitality, I mean life is tough enough with a young family so their kindness is so much appreciated. It has been over 3 years since I was last here and in Abu Dhabi (which I also visited). Although by Middle East standards and UAE standards, growth has been modest, there are definate 'green shoots'. Projects are progressing; the metro in Dubai is open; buildings in progress are being 'topped off', the Palm continues to be developed; there being several hotels under construction; while in Abu Dhabi, Reem Island is undergoing rapid transformation with the construction of the Gate; the new road from Yas and the airport is open while major residential developments have also progressed. So its not all doom and gloom and while things are still relatively quiet for this part of the world; there is sufficient to suggest that investors will still see this country as a place to do business. I'm not a political animal, but it seems to me that the UK could certainly adopt a stance of investing strongly in capital projects and infrastructure as the UAE has done. I appreciate the debt ratios are probably not comparable, but the concept of investment and development is not a bad one. For my two pennyworth, and its easy for me to say as I live in Devon; but the logic of considering an alternative to an additional third runway at Heathrow defies me. Here (UAE) and in China they just do it, and the Government should stop prevaricating and just get on with it. Wherever its built, there will be opposition.

 I have been fortunate in so far as the processing of the Indian visa could have taken twice as long, and one thing I have always been concerned with is not to burden Carol and Jonathan with an extra body! It has been a delight to see them again and the kids for the first time. They have made me so welcome so a huge thank you to them for all they have done.

Its been almost 40 years since I last stepped foot in India. At that time the visit culminated what was the end of a two year travelfest, where I hitch hiked from Durban through Africa, to the Med, then across Turkey, Iran (you could get in then, just walk across the border-how times change), Afghanistan (which as with Iran, was a fascinating country to visit), Pakistan via the Khyber Pass, and then into India. At that time I travelled around Jammu and Kashmir (which was a bit lively!), visiting Srinigar, Lake Dal, then by train, back to Jammu and Delhi. During this period, and I guess because I was a bit run down, I caught pretty much everything India had to offer and was below par, to the extent that I didn't visit Agra, Jaipur or any of the other places one would want to visit in this amazing country. So returning now, full of beans and ready to do battle with the road conditions, I cannot wait to arrive in Delhi and kick start the journey again. There are of course many places I want to visit, and I havent set myself a time limit, but want to savour this country. I will end up in Calcutta and I hope to visit Darjeeling, oh there are so many places I want to go. While I have enjoyed every aspect of the cycle so far, I think it will get very interesting from here on in, and continue through Asia, wow, what a prospect, I feel like a kid in a sweet shop not knowing which way to turn. Isn't travel the best!!!! I'll try and remember that when I'm caught short with some bug or bite when no doubt I shall be cursing like a good'un! See you in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment